As usual after the KDE feature freeze, I'd like to give an overview which improvements have been done in Dolphin for the next KDE SC.
I wrote already about the search improvements some months ago. In the meantime Sebastian Trüg has extended Nepomuk by facets and integrated them as "Filter Panel" into Dolphin:
The facets provide a very comfortable way for the user to shrink the number of search results. From a developers point of view those facets are a great thing too: It is easy to integrate them into an application. A lot of default facets are offered by Nepomuk, but it is also possible to embed custom facets.
As mentioned earlier Dolphin now allows to search for files even if Nepomuk is disabled, however the "Filter Panel" is a feature that only works in combination with Nepomuk and indexed files (at least for KDE SC 4.6).
Beside this improvements also other finetuning has been done for searching:
- The default view has been changed to show the path.
- The context menu allows to open the search result in a new tab or window.
Some long overdue improvements have been done for the column view:
- The column width can be changed by the user.
- The column width automatically is extended to the longest filename.
- Rubberband selection like in the icons-view and details-view is possible.
- Neighbor columns are always aligned in a way that it is possible to navigate through all columns without using the horizontal scrollbar.
Sebastian Dörner and Johannes Steffen have implemented a Git plugin for Dolphin. It is part of the kdesdk-package.
- Folders Panel: Improved automatic horizontal scrolling (can be disabled now too).
- Improved context-menu when no file is selected
- Multiple renaming: It is now possible to provide leading zeros if wanted (patch implemented by Matthias Fuchs)
- Service menus
- ... and of course a lot of bug fixes